Wednesday 30 March 2011

Getting permission to play

Today I turned up and went to halter Bella and she walked off ... Hmm FEEDBACK! After playing a little 'catching' game I offered her the halter and she put her ears back and walked off again ... Mmm 'How Interesting!'

Ok, time for a different tac ... leaving the halter, Liberty it is! Again I went to play the catching game but as soon as I approached her she turned and walked over.  I gently flicked the Savvy string over her neck and asked her to follow the feel as I have a hundreds times - nope i'm not moving! Did a little friendly then tried again. One step, sigh then turn and walk off with a board look on her face.  Ok, not what I expected!!

I walked after her and decided to get more provoctive.  As I approced instead of going to her head I went to her side and asked her for sideways towards - BINGO! She slid strait over then turned and gave me two eyes.  I walked off and asked her to stick to me which she did but with a grumpy face, ok lets fix that, hind quater and for quarter yeilds - fast! PING, happier looking face!

Permission and attitude better now to work on the brain.  I started to do lead by the front legs which she knows, then led backwards by the back leg which we haven't done before.  She quickly got it and was soon walking backwards just from a suggestion.

Now she was connected and forward thinking I started to carry on playing with things that we have been playing with to see where we are at.

Spins - yeilding nicely from the front but a bit 'sticky' when her Z5 is towards me. But finishing nicely.

Lead by tail - Perfect straight.  Getting better at turning whilst backing.

Stick to me matching strides and body positions - ie if i walk slow, hunched over with my head down will she match me.  Really nice with her head, nose almost on the floor.  Was having trouble changing between the different walks. But 1st time at liberty so not bad concidering!

Circling - 1st attemt she left and went as stood about 10ft from me with her bum to me - There's that feed back again!! Did a bit of friendly rubbing then reasked softer. BINGO! 1 perfect circle!

Then tought her something new - lead but the forlock! She already knows lead by the mane so picked this up after 2 attempts. Cleaver girl!

Then ran throught it all mixing it up and ended with a grazing session with me sat on the grass and her grazing by me. 

When I got up she raised her head, I flicked the savvy string over her neck and she walked and trotted next to me back accross the field to get her dinner.

What did she teach me tonight?
* I have to earn the right to play and mean it if I want to!
* Give her more process time ... sometimes I rush her
* My little LB horse will teach me more than I will ever teach her!

No comments:

Post a Comment